- 20 ounces fresh or canned chunk pineapple
- 2-3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2-3 teaspoons white sugar or sugar substitute
- ½ cup washed and chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional: ½ jalapeno pepper, washed, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil, not olive oil
- ¾-1 teaspoon salt
- A splash of pineapple juice, optional
- 2-3 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped nuts, suggest walnuts, pecans or toasted almonds
If you don’t want spicy, delete the jalapeno and add a touch of chopped green bell pepper instead.
Drain the juice from pineapple and reserve juice for another recipe. You can use pineapple tidbits in place of chunks, and more or less jalapeno. Do not process the ingredients but toss in large bowl until well mixed. Toss gently to blend. Chill for 1 or more hours for flavors to blend. Add lime juice and nuts just before serving.
Makes 4 side servings.