Chicken and Dumplings
Be sure those you serve aren’t faking illness just to get you to fix this for them.
Not only will it satisfy that deep hunger, it is also good for whatever
might ail you.
- 1 3-4 pound fryer chicken, cut up; or 8 chicken pieces of your choice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 16 ounces water
- 2 stalks celery cut in 1″ lengths (or 1 teaspoon celery seed)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dry parsley flakes or ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- optional vegetables, fresh or canned (drain canned vegetables before using)
- green peas
- whole kernel corn
- mixed vegetables
- fluffy dumplings recipe (double recipe)
Put chicken in a pot and cover with broth (or combination of water and broth) with about 2 inches of liquid above chicken. Add celery (or celery seed), onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover and boil gently for 30 minutes.
Continue to make dumplings (see Fluffy Dumplings recipe).
After chicken has cooked 30 minutes, add vegetables and bring back to slow boil. Adjust seasonings and turn heat down to low.
Drop dumplings on top of gently simmering liquid, then carefully flip them over, cover and simmer at least 15 minutes without opening the lid.