Summer is the season of all manner of salads, fresh and crunchy, sweet, vinegary, sauced and everything else your imagination can create. Sweet Pea salad is one that I don’t see very often and yet I find it to be such a unique flavor that I thoroughly enjoy it each time it is served.
Smooth green peas melt on your tongue, with a touch of egg, crunch of celery and hint of red pepper and onion, it is a flavor sensation on your taste buds. It puts a smile on your face and enhances all the dishes that accompany it.
Add Sweet Pea salad to your celebration this holiday and see how well it is received by all. You may want to tuck a copy of the recipe next to it for all those requests you are sure to get.
Makes about 6 cups
- 6 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chopped small
- 1 small red pepper, fresh roasted or canned, cleaned, peeled and diced
- 2 cans Le Sueur sweet green peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons white or red onion, finely minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayo, Hellman’s regular (not salad dressing)
- Crisp bacon crumbles, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add a splash of fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavor. Gently blend with mayo to desired consistency. Chill thoroughly. Store in the refrigerator until read to serve.